Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour; how a person thinks and feels and why they do what they do. Scientific skills are required, therefore an interest in Maths and Science is essential.
B in Science in Year 9
Psychology aims to develop students:
- interest in psychology and their appreciation for how this knowledge can be used to understand contemporary issues
- appreciation of the complex interactions, involving multiple parallel processes, that continually influence human behaviour
- understanding that psychological knowledge has developed over time and is used in a variety of contexts, and is informed by social, cultural and ethical considerations
- Information retrieval from listening, observing and research.
- Scientific reading and writing.
- Data representation and analysis and interpretation.
Out of class requirements
It is expected that students will need to complete approximately 2 hours of homework/study each week.
What’s important for this subject
It is expected that an appreciation of, and respect for, evidence-based conclusions and the processes required to gather, scrutinise and use evidence. Students will be required to learn and apply aspects of the knowledge and skill of the discipline (thinking, experimentation, problem-solving and research skills) and consider how it may impact society.
Course Outline and Assessment
Students will explore and apply the scientific research skills used in all psychological research. Students will demonstrate these skills by conducting an investigation into the role of attention on a person’s ability to remember information.
Students will examine theories of emotion and the psychological impacts of stress. Students will then explore how stress and emotions not only influence a persons’ perception but also their behaviour. How stress and emotions link to psychological disorders will be evaluated.
|General Subjects||Applied Subjects|
Biology – B Science and a C English|
Chemistry - B Science and a C English
Psychology - B Science and a C English
Aerospace Systems - C Science, C Maths and a B English
Physics - B Science, B Maths Methods and a C English
Agricultural Practices - no prerequisite|
Aquatic Practices - no prerequisite
Science in Practice – no prerequisite