Year 9 Coding is all about transforming creative ideas into practical solutions. This is accomplished with the use of programming Sphero robots to define, design and implement digital solutions.
We live in a rapidly advancing world where technology is developing and progressing daily. The curriculum actively engages students to become confident users and creative developers of technology solutions.
What it will help students do
Students acquire a deep knowledge and understanding of digital systems, data and information and the processes associated with creating digital solutions. This will enable them to take up an active role in meeting current and future needs.
- ICT capabilities
- Collaboration, Interpersonal Skills and Self-Confidence
- Critical thinking and Problem Solving by:
- investigating and defining
- generating and designing
- producing and implementing
Out of class requirements
It is expected that students will need to complete approximately 1 hour of homework/study each week due to the demands of this subject.
What’s important for this subject
A student with a tenacious attitude and an excellent eye for detail. A solutions focused student with an interest in solving real world problems with advancing digital technologies.
Course Outline and Assessment
Unit 1: Introduction to Sphero Bolt Coding
- Draw Coding – Manual Movement, Distance, Direction, Speed and Colour
- Beginning Block Coding – Roll, Delay, Sound, Speak and Main LED
Unit 2: Intermediate Coding
- Simple Controls (Loops), Sensors and Comments
- Algorithms and Flowcharts
Unit 3: Putting it all together
- Innovative Robots and their applications
Assessment: Supervised exams, multimodal presentations and portfolios.
|This subject can lead into senior Information and Communication Technology (Applied).|